A daughter who lost her father to mesothelioma is calling on his former colleagues to come forward with information about working conditions at a Tony Cox (Dismantlers) Limited which was based in Great Bridge Street, West Bromwich.
Samuel Bryan, also known as ‘Sammy’, was employed by Tony Cox (Dismantlers Limited), which later became Reach Environmental, between 1989 and 1990. He worked as a labourer for the demolition company removing asbestos lagged pipes and boilers from various sites.
Mr Bryan’s industrial disease was discovered years later in 2012 when his daughter Samantha, who was just 19 years old,begged him to visit his GP due to a persistent cough.
After his doctor listened to Mr Bryan’s chest an ambulance was called and he was taken to Heartlands Hospital in Birmingham where fluid was urgently removed from his lungs.
Following a biopsy and further tests he was told the devastating news that he had mesothelioma, a type of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos which most commonly affects the lungs. Mr Bryan found out he had between 8 and 11 months to live.
Despite undergoing extensive surgery and grueling courses of chemotherapy, Mr Bryan passed away a few years later on the 3rd January 2017 aged 53.
Now his daughter Samantha is calling on former Tony Cox (Dismantlers) Limited employees to come forward with information about the sites her father worked on and the conditions he faced during his employment, so that she can pursue a case with specialist solicitors from Your Legal Friend.
Samantha is being represented by Joanne Candlish who has over 25 years’ experience and is a senior litigator member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers. She specialises in mesothelioma and asbestos related lung cancer claims and has represented clients in several high-profile cases.
Joanne Candlish, Solicitor and Department Manager for Asbestos at Your Legal Friend, said: “Samuel and his family suffered terribly after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma which is an extremely unforgiving condition.
“The dangers of exposure to asbestos were well-known at the time and more should have been done to protect employees.
“A particular job of interest is one that Mr Bryan worked on in Great Bridge near Tipton. “He worked in many locations but stands out as Samantha’s mother recalled him discussing it the night they first met.
“Samantha and I would be extremely grateful if Samuel’s colleagues who worked at Tony Cox Dismantlers Limited would contact us with any relevant information. They may be able to help with the case and help secure some form of justice for the family.”
Anyone who believes they can provide useful information can contact Joanne Candlish on: 0800 170 1006