Call me back

Police motor accident compensation plea

Police car on road
14th May 2014

A woman from Nottingham who suffered brain damage after being hit by a police car is set to appeal against the decision not to award her £2m in motor accident compensation.

23-year-old Rebecca Ann Smith was enjoying a night out on Canal Street in the city on 25th February 2005, when she was struck by the car as it responded to an emergency outside MFI on nearby Castle Boulevard.

Because she was on a night out, the county court judge who denied her the original accident compensation concluded that the victim was "the worse for drink", although her legal team contest this, indicating that there was contrary evidence available from a number of witnesses.

Rebecca was originally found to be 75 per cent responsible for the collision, but her lawyer notes that both she and the police car tried to take evasive action at the same time, so the officer should be at least as responsible as the victim.

The case will now be heard at the Appeal Court in London, although no date has yet to be set for the motor accident compensation hearing.

Elsewhere, a Freedom of Information request has found that the Bedfordshire force has paid out a total of £45,894 in accident compensation to officers and other employees who have been injured at work.

Included in this amount is £10,000 paid to an officer whose chair broke, resulting in her hitting her head, £7,300 for another member of the force who fell down stairs following the collapse of a handrail and £4,875 which was paid to another officer who burnt his hand whilst away on a training course.

And as we told you earlier in the week, an officer from the Gloucestershire constabulary could make a claim for whiplash compensation after suffering a bang to the head as a result of being thrown to the ground when she attempted to intervene in late night violence in Stroud town centre.

More usually, whiplash claims happen as a result of road traffic accidents and if you find yourself involved in such an incident that isn't your fault, you could claim motor accident compensation to pay for any damage sustained to your vehicle, as well as medical bills or alterations to your home if the injuries sustained are severe. 

Posted by Bryony Flack-Crane