Call me back

Payout possible in car accident case

Car wrecked after crash
14th May 2014
The family of a couple from Lancaster who were killed whilst driving in Scotland could choose to make a motor accident compensation claim after the driver responsible for the car accident was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving.

The pair were in the country in March 2010 to attend a Robert Burns conference, as the lady who died was a research fellow at Lancaster University and a big fan of the poet. The couple's children later remarked that they often went to Scotland to stay at a friend's cottage near the Borders, so they were used to driving conditions in the country.

However, what they couldn't legislate for was the driving of Kevin McCrindle, who was driving at 90mph on the wrong side of the A75 near Dumfries when the road traffic accident occurred, according to the evidence given at the High Court in Glasgow. It's believed that Mr McCrindle was trying to overtake other motorists when attempting the manoeuvre, but merely succeeded in hitting the couple's Citroen Xantia, killing them both at the scene.

It also emerged that Mr McCrindle had also been found guilty of a road rage offence on the same stretch of road in 2004, which could have some impact on any decision to make a motor accident compensation claim once he is sentenced, which is expected to happen later this month.

The back-to-back bank holidays we've just experienced could see more motor accident compensation claims being made, as more cars on the roads increases the chances of road traffic accidents.

This was certainly the case in Dorset, where two people died in car accidents over the last weekend, with two people being arrested as a result. In one of the incidents, a motorbike rider was involved in a four-vehicle crash on the A31 near Almer and died at the scene, whilst in the other, an elderly pedestrian was hit as she walked along a road in Wareham. If the arrested drivers are found to be liable for the deaths, the victims' families could choose to make a motor accident compensation claim for their losses.

If you or a family member are involved in a road traffic accident that was the fault of a third party, you may be able to seek motor accident compensation, which could help pay for repairs to or replacement of damaged vehicles, be used to buy specialised equipment for the seriously injured or compensate grieving families for any deaths that may have occurred.

Reported by Fiona Campbell