Call me back

Accident claims: electric cable error

Forked lightning pulse
14th May 2014

A construction company has been fined after worker suffers severe burns from an electrical explosion, in events that could now lead to accident claims.

The worker sustained serious burns after a North London company failed to carry out basic Health and Safety checks.

On the 30th April 2010, the injured man was working on a construction site at Leonard Street, Islington, when the electrical blast occurred.

City of London Magistrates' Court heard that the explosion was caused when a main electrical supply cable to the site was cut during its removal.

The employee was working as a subcontractor on a large construction project which involved the refurbishment of three adjacent buildings at Leonard Street to include apartments and commercial use.
The man, 35, from East London, worked as sub-contractor for Pineview Interiors Ltd in Havering, London.

At the time of the incident, a 415 volt 3 phase temporary electrical supply had been provided to the site.

The Court heard that on the morning of the incident, the worker approached his supervisor to explain that the electrical cable would need to be removed so that plaster board could be installed.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation revealed that Pineview Interiors Ltd undertook very limited enquiries as to whether this cable was in fact still live. Pineview workers then proceeded with its removal on the false assumption that the cable being described must have been one of the old, redundant cables from the pre-existing installation.

The worker climbed a step ladder with a hammer and chisel to attempt to remove the cable.

After a couple of hits, the court heard that the worker recalls waking up on the floor with another employee putting flames out from the top half of his body.

The worker was taken to hospital, suffering burns to between 30 to 35 percent of his body. He has had to have a skin graft from his legs to his body and arms. It is expected to take up to two years for his skin to recover.

Speaking after the prosecution, HSE Inspector Dominic Elliss said:

"Refurbishment works continue to contribute a high proportion of the serious and fatal injuries reported within the construction industry. The defendant company were aware that their works within 9-15 Leonard Street would require the removal of an electrical head. They were, or should have been, aware that this well labelled system remained live at the time that they instructed their employees to commence work in this location.

Posted by Bryony Flack-Crane